Year 5 Home Learning Week Commencing 29th June

Hi all,

It has been a very hot week! We hope you have been staying safe in the sun. A highlight of our week has been talking to many of you and hearing about all the lovely things you are doing at home. We are looking forward to speaking to more of you this week.

Our school snakes are growing! We are amazed at how creative you have been. If you have not done so already, you can decorate your own stone and drop it into the box outside school so we can add it to the snake.

Bellinge Campus

Ecton Brook Campus

English

During the beautiful weather, you have taken a trip to the beach. It has been a fantastic day. You have taken some time to go and explore the area yourself, when you come across a decaying house just past the sandy beach line. You think you could walk through the shallow water to investigate the desolate island.

Activity 1:

Imagine yourself as the character in this story. As you stand on the beach, focused on the rubble before you, what do you see? How does it make you feel? What can you hear, see, touch, taste and smell? Is there anything unusual about what you can hear?

Think of some high-level adjectives to describe your senses while on the beach. Create a bank of good vocabulary that describes the start of this adventure.

Activity 2:

Should you investigate? You believe you can make it through the water to the building. Should you go? What might you find? Is there something waiting inside for you?

Focus on your emotions and thoughts as you battle through the idea of stepping towards the mysterious building. Add to your bank of words. Filling it with emotional descriptors. Think about how you might show these emotions through your body language eg your heart might pound loudly.

Activity 3: – Write the first part of your story. This is the beginning and build up of your story hill

Writing a first-person narrative of the start of this story, fill it with the high level vocabulary you collected earlier.

Do you brave the water and advance towards the house? Can you see something moving inside? Try to create tension by using short sentences and some figurative language techniques.

Activity 4: – You have made it. You are on the island. Are you alone? What do you find? What happens? This is the problem section of your story hill.

Use your imagination here. What could you find in this decaying home? Try to create tension and mystery in this section of your story.

Remember to edit as your go, making sure you have used a thesaurus. Use ISPACE openers to really engage the reader.

Activity 5:

How would you like your story to end? This will strongly depend on what you may have found in the house.

Do you decide to venture back to your family? Are you able to venture back at all?

Don’t forget to re-read and edit your stories. We cannot wait to hear all of the imaginative and creative things you add in your stories.

Maths

This week, we will be learning to identify, classify and describe shapes based on their properties.

Lesson 1 – https://classroom.thenational.academy/lessons/to-identify-describe-and-classify-shapes-based-on-the-properties

Lesson 2 – https://classroom.thenational.academy/lessons/to-identify-describe-and-classify-shapes-based-on-the-properties-6537fa

Lesson 3 –https://classroom.thenational.academy/lessons/to-identify-regular-and-irregular-polygons-by-reasoning-about-equal-side

Lesson 4 – https://classroom.thenational.academy/lessons/to-identify-describe-and-classify-triangles

Lesson 5 – https://classroom.thenational.academy/lessons/to-describe-the-properties-of-quadrilaterals

Reading

You can continue to use the Scholastic Virtual Reading Library online allowing you to access lots of different books on their website.

The Scholastic Reading Pro website (https://educator-slz03.scholasticlearningzone.com/slz-portal/#/login3/GBR2VCR) please find enclosed the login details below.

Enter your username and password (remember that they are case sensitive)
Username: (first three letters of the pupil’s first name followed by first three letters of surname) All lowercase
For example: Harry Potter would be Username: harpot
Password: password1

If you have any issues accessing the website, please contact the school at enquiries@ectonbrook.org.uk .

SATs companion

You will be set some more grammar work to complete this week.

Internet Safety

• Discuss their answers, using the answer sheet located at the bottom of the blog post.

Activity 1: Positive and negative attention

• This week’s activity is going to explore different types of attention. Have a think about the meaning of the word ‘attention’ (where
    someone takes notice of you). Sometimes people get attention for doing positive things (e.g. helping a friend; putting effort into a piece of work) but sometimes people might do negative things to get attention. Can they think of any examples?
  • When someone gives somebody else attention, this can also be positive (e.g. saying well done) or negative (e.g. making a
    mean comment, paying them too much attention, or trying to put pressure or persuade them to do something they might not want to do).
  • Read the task on p.2 , then complete the activity.

• Discuss your answers with your parents using p.4 to help you (see the answers at the bottom of the blog past). Explain why it is so  important to tell a trusted adult if you experience negative attention online or if anything worries or upsets you.

Activity 2: Battle of the Bands: Selfie’s live streamed show

Geography

It certainly has been extremely hot over the last few days. We hope you have all been outside enjoying the sunshine. For geography this week we would like you to investigate a place that is even hotter than us right now, Florida.

Follow the BBC lesson to learn the facts and lifestyle people who reside in the beautiful place. https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zyqm8hv

What are some similarities and differences between Northampton and Florida?

PE

Here are 2 new challenges for this week.

Internet Safety – Answers

Activity 1: Positive and Negative Attention

We hope you have an great week.

Mrs Turiccki, Miss Whaites and Mrs Hatfield.

13 thoughts on “Year 5 Home Learning Week Commencing 29th June

• 27th June 2020 at 2:29 pm

Hi,
    My name is Lilia Volc, I am Vladislav mother from year 5.
    I see every week about SATS Campanion but we do not know how to get in.
    Can you please help?

• 27th June 2020 at 10:58 pm

Hi Lilia,

I have emailed you the details for Vlad’s log in and also a link to the site. Let us know if you have any problems with it.

Mrs Hatfield

• 29th June 2020 at 11:42 am

Hi it is Jenny. I did the sock and squat challenge and got a bronze on the socks and on the squats I got gold!!

• 30th June 2020 at 6:20 pm

Hi Jenny!
      That is fantastic. Well done!

Miss Whaites

• 29th June 2020 at 12:02 pm

I got silver on the socks and gold on the squats
    Woohoo

Adiós
    Rayyan

• 29th June 2020 at 4:34 pm

Well done Rayyan! How are you doing with the rest of work?
      Mrs Turiccki

• 1st July 2020 at 11:07 am

I have done activity 3 on English here it is…..
    This was supposed to be a fun day at the beach but that changed as soon as I saw the island. When I arrived at the beach it was full of chatter and meat sizzling on barbecues. After an hour of surfing, sand castle making and paddling in the sea something caught my eye.
    There was an island in the fog. I went to have a closer look, something was on that island but what? Then I knew my next adventure was waiting for me.
    I stepped on the island and my mind was blown! A weather beaten house crumbled before my very eyes.The windows rattled in the heavy wind and the door shook. Old paint dripped on my cold, wet head. The rocks it laid upon were like mossy steel balls in the middle of the sea. As I went closer I dodged a bit of wood from the house blowing towards my face. When I reached the front door a voice whispered “come in!” the door creaked open.

• 4th July 2020 at 12:09 pm

What a beautiful piece of writing Jenny. You have used such great description of the house and of your feelings throughout. The cliff hanger you have used at the end is fantastic and has really made me want to read more! Who is this voice?
      Super work Jenny,
      Miss Whaites

• 3rd July 2020 at 11:46 am

Here’s my complete story.

After having a nice picnic at the beach, I went to explore.In front of me was a beautiful cliff covered in lush,green grass.Curiously, I peered over the top to see what was awaiting me on the other side. A crumbling house lay before me. Seagulls sat on the roof, squawking at me. There eyes were like fire as they gazed into mine. Cracked bricks sat on the floor, all smashed apart. Carefully, I began to walk towards the building , being wary of the pieces of glass from the shattered windows.

I put my hand on the cold,wet door handle and pulled it open. The creaky noise sent a chill down my spine.Dozens of cobwebs were on the wall. I thought to myself “I hate spiders”. The crackling fire was burning, keeping the room alight. A nice rug lay on the floor, patterned with a delicate design. Suddenly, I heard footsteps above me.

I ran for the door, afraid of what was coming. When I tried to open it, I realized that it was locked.I turned around but the fire had been put out so I could see a thing. Wind brushed past my cold face , flapping my hair in my face. Strangely, I was struggling to breath. All I could hear was the calming noise of the ocean. I looked outside of the open window and saw the glowing moon, the last thing I saw before becoming engulfed in darkness.

• 4th July 2020 at 12:22 pm

Super work Bryce. I could really feel the suspense as I read through this story. You have used fantastic varied sentence structures to add this. Well done! You have also used lots of ISPACE openers. Fantastic!
      Remember when describing to use a thesaurus to up level your words.
      Great work,
      Miss Whaites

• 3rd July 2020 at 12:56 pm

I’m so excited to see everyone in September! In the meantime I hope everyone has been coping well.
    I have done Activity 3 English and here is what I came up with.

I ran for my life. A gang of anonymous beings were pursuing me down. They were all wearing black sheaths and unilluminating hoodies. I recklessly dashed through different terrains and as far away from them as possible. After a long run, I was surrounded by the boundless ocean. Suddenly, a mystifying, empty house appeared out of no where. Instantaneously, I heard horses hooves abruptly getting louder and louder. The desolate dwelling was my only hope. The moment I stepped in, the house and I dissipated…

I really liked everyone’s stories! 👍
    I hope you enjoyed my piece of writing

• 4th July 2020 at 12:30 pm

Wow, what a fantastic story Maysha. I am genuinely scared! I can feel the tension from the chase.
      You have used fantastic vocabulary and some really good ISPACE openers. I am extremely eager to hear about the rest of the adventure.
      Super work,
      Miss Whaites

• 3rd July 2020 at 3:02 pm

Hi
    I asked my sister earlier today how she does her school work. She said that she used Google Classroom and the teacher set her some work using Google docs,Google slides and Google sheets
    I was hoping that we could use it for a week
    Adiós