Year 4 – Home Learning Week Commencing 8th June

Hi Year 4!

Well done to everyone who is completing Blog work and sending us lovely comments.   It is wonderful to see that you are continuing to work hard at home.

Has anyone been baking or gardening?  Or perhaps learning a new skill that you would like to tell us about?  Perhaps you have been for a nice walk somewhere or have played a new game?  We would love to hear what you have been up to so let us know by commenting on this post.

We hope you enjoyed designing a mystical egg last week and looking for the numbers in the paintings.

We all continue to miss you but hope you are happy and staying safe.  Keep smiling Year 4!

Mrs Carsberg, Miss Tew and Miss Moloney.

Scholastic Reading and TT Rockstars

We have assigned a new book for you to read this week linked to one of our Geography topics covered in Year 4. It is a non-fiction book this week (South America). Once you have completed the book, there is a quiz for you to complete.  Scholastic Reading Handout for Parents

For TT Rockstars this week, we would like to see you completing a Soundcheck. Try to beat your highest score and reach the target of 25/25. Make a note of any times tables you get incorrect and try to learn these.

English Activity Ideas

This is the second picture we are going to use to inspire our writing this week. If you have not already looked at last week’s post, make sure you have a read through before completing the activities below.

Task 1: Take some time to look carefully at the picture. Talk to someone at home about everything you can see. How does this picture make you feel? While you look at the picture, imagine where the nest full of eggs, shown in the picture last week, would be. Write a few sentences to explain where you think the eggs are located. Make sure you provide reasons for your answer.

Task 2: Gather some vocabulary ideas for each of the five senses. See if you can include any of our words of the week from our reading sessions.

Task 3: Imagine you have turned back time to a few hours before this picture. What happened? Were there any characters or creatures here? Are those clouds in the distance or is it smoke? You could draw a picture to show what you imagine it looked like or write some sentences to describe it.

Task 4: Bring the picture to life and write a setting description. Remember to include the vocabulary you gathered for Task 2. You could challenge yourself to write more than one paragraph. Try writing a paragraph about the house you can see in the foreground and a paragraph about the mountains in the background.

Task 5: It is time to test you memory. As you know, it is important to recall previous learning to help strengthen our memories. This week, we challenge you to make a list of as many of our words of the week that you can remember. Challenge yourself even further by drawing a little picture for each one, writing a definition and showing someone the action associated with it.

Maths Activity Ideas

Task 1: We would like you to have a go at converting between different units of time. The poster should help you. We recommend using a number line to help you.

200 seconds = ? minutes and ? seconds

2000 seconds = ? minutes and ? seconds

200 minutes = ? hours and ? minutes

2000 minutes = ? hours and ? minutes

Do you spot any patterns? Why is this happening? Explain to someone at home how you completed the calculations.

Task 2: We would like you to complete an active Maths activity. Time how long it takes you to complete 25 star jumps. Have a rest. Now, see how many star jumps you can complete in one minute. Have a rest. While you are resting, use the number you recorded in one minute to estimate how many you would complete in two minutes. See if your estimate is correct or if you slow down towards the end. Can you use your findings to estimate how many star jumps you would complete in one hour if you continued at the same pace?

Task 3: Go and look in your sock drawer. How many pairs of socks do you have? What different colours of socks do you own? How many of them are patterned? How many of them are plain? Are there any other ways that you could put your socks into categories? Using this information express your sock draw in fractions, e.g. ¼ of my socks are patterned ½ of my socks are white When you have finished, make sure all of your socks are in pairs and put them away in your drawer.

Task 4: Draw 20 random lines across a piece of A4 paper. Make sure that these lines overlap. Colour each section a different colour. What shapes can you see in your picture? What angles can you see in your picture?

Task 5: See if you can remember the ‘types of lines’ dance. Show someone in your house or have a little dance while no one is watching. Remember, the names of the lines are horizontal, vertical, diagonal, parallel and perpendicular. You must remember to sing the song while you are dancing 😀

Go horizontal, go horizontal, go horizontal, go horizontal

Go vertical, go vertical, go vertical, go vertical

Go diagonal, go diagonal, go diagonal, go diagonal

Go parallel, go parallel, go parallel, go parallel

Go perpendicular, go perpendicular, go perpendicular, go perpendicular

See how many of each type of line you can find around your house. Make a list of all the examples you find. If you cannot remember the definitions, search Google or use a dictionary.

Knowledge Organiser Task

History Ancient Egyptians

Look at the list of important people on the Knowledge Organiser. Make a list of anything you remember from when we studied them at school. You could present your work as a fact file or a poster. Once you have written down everything you remember, try completing some more research. What is the most interesting fact about Howard Carter? Is there a more interesting fact about Tutankhamun? Can you find out something you didn’t know about Queen Cleopatra VII?

Link to all Knowledge Organisers:

Extra Resources

29 thoughts on “Year 4 – Home Learning Week Commencing 8th June

• 7th June 2020 at 3:50 pm

Hi miss moloney have have been doing task 1 and locate d where the eggs might be so here are the sentences I came up with :

The eggs are located in the dark holes beside the bushy trees and under the houses which have got brown poles. Or maybe the eggs might be located in the houses which have brown poles underneath the brown sparkly white stairs next to the silver river that glitters and shines at the yellow sparkly sun.

• 10th June 2020 at 2:04 pm

Hi Shaymaa,

I loved reading your descriptions of where the eggs might be. Well done for continuing to use adjectives and adverbs in your writing.

Keep up the good work!

Miss Moloney

• 8th June 2020 at 10:55 am

Hi Miss Tew,
    I hope that you had a good weekend. I made some Scones yesterday for tea – they were delicious. I have done the first English and Maths tasks. here is what I have written about the picture:

I think that the eggs are stored in the Temple on the left hand side of the picture. They are hidden deep inside a trap filled maze and only the bravest people enter. This is to keep the very precious eggs safe because if bad people touch them they don’t grow and the colours will fade.

• 8th June 2020 at 11:48 am

Good morning Ellis,
      I had a lovely weekend thank you. I love scones, I’m glad you enjoyed them. I baked some chocolate brownies which were also delicious 😀
      I think that would be a very safe place to keep the eggs. I like the idea that it is a temple with a maze inside. Wonderful use of your imagination 🙂
      Miss Tew

• 8th June 2020 at 11:38 am

Hi Miss Tew

What do you have to at arena and festival on multiplayer?
    On tt rockstars

• 8th June 2020 at 11:56 am

Hello Maria 🙂
      The Arena is designed for us to use in class where we could all play at the same time and have a leader board. The Festival allows you to compete against anyone else playing at the same time using your rock name. You are placed onto a leader board at the end of the Festival.
      Hope this helps,
      Miss Tew

• 8th June 2020 at 12:08 pm

Hi Miss Moloney

I did 25 star jumps in 14.29 seconds and did 101 star jumps in one minute. I calculated that I should do 202 star jumps in 2 minutes and when I tested it did exactly 202!! In one hour I should do 6060 but I don’t wanna put that to the test! LOL!

• 10th June 2020 at 2:06 pm

Hey Phoebe,

Wow that was a lot of star jumps! I think you should try the 6060!! Hehe!! Come on Phoebe – it’s not like you to not like a challenge!!

Let me know how you get on!

Miss Moloney

• 8th June 2020 at 1:21 pm

Hello Miss Tew I have done task 2

The eggs are hidden behind the cascades in one of the pitch black caves , you can hear a low and noisy sound. Maybe they take cover in one of the unnoticed houses that are so dark you can’t see into them. Those places are forbidden and no-one has ever entered them.

• 8th June 2020 at 2:10 pm

Hi Maria 😀
      I love the vocabulary you have used in your writing. My favourite words are cascades, unnoticed and forbidden. You have built tension well and I can’t wait to read more for the other tasks.
      Miss Tew

• 8th June 2020 at 1:24 pm

I mean task 1 not task 2

• 8th June 2020 at 4:21 pm

Hi Miss Yes I am doing task 1 on maths

200 seconds = 3 minutes and 20 seconds

2000 seconds = 33 minutes and 20 seconds

200 minutes = 3 hours and 20 minutes

2000 minutes = 33 hours and 20 minutes
    My mum helped me.

• 11th June 2020 at 12:57 pm

Great work Maria. Do you notice any patterns?

Miss Tew 😀

• 9th June 2020 at 12:16 pm

Hi

I have been counting my socks!
    I have 60 pairs of socks in total (i think that is too many socks!).
    12 pairs are plain – which is 1/5
    6 pairs are trampoline socks – which is 1/10
    12 pairs are Christmas socks – which is 1/5
    20 pairs are patterned – which is 1/3
    18 pairs have a character (including a snowman and a gingerbread man) – which is 3/10
    some socks appear in more than one category
    I also have 10 lonely socks!

• 10th June 2020 at 2:08 pm

Oh my – who has that many socks?? Mind you, I think I have a drawer upstairs with about 100 lonely socks. Where do you think they all go? Is there such a thing as a sock eater? Maybe you could write me a story about it?

Great maths Phoebe!

Take care

Miss Moloney

• 10th June 2020 at 8:12 pm

Hi miss moloney

I have been doing task from the maths so it took me 25 seconds to do 25 star jumps and I did 30 star jumps in I minute run I estimated I would do 60 star jumps in two minutes after I put a 2 minutes timer and i did 50 star jumps in 2 minutes

• 11th June 2020 at 8:06 am

Well done Shaymaa good estimating and great jumping. Maybe you could do it again today to see if you can beat your record!

Keep jumping!
      Miss Moloney

• 11th June 2020 at 11:21 am

Hi Miss Tew

I’ve done all the Maths tasks and will finish the last 2 English tasks tomorrow. I can’t wait for Fathers Day 🙂

From Ellis

Hide
    Improvise

• 12th June 2020 at 12:40 pm

Well done! Do you remember all the actions? You could show someone at home 🙂

Miss Tew

• 12th June 2020 at 11:11 am

I forgot carving and sculpture

• 12th June 2020 at 12:20 pm

Hi Mis Tew, I have done the English Task 4. here is my paragraph:

It was a normal day with the Fitwes guarding the eggs as the wind gently blew. The trees rustled, the waterfalls calmly flowed and the plants were scattered on the giant mountains. The sky was painted with clouds as the wildlife gradually woke up as they did every single day. The wood carvings slowly eroded as the days past away. Everything knew what was going to happen as life was that way.

I have also done some reading today and some Code work. Have a good weekend. Ellis

• 12th June 2020 at 12:44 pm

Hello Ellis,
      It was lovely to speak to you yesterday 🙂 It sounds very peaceful in your setting. I like that you have used adverbs within your sentences and thought carefully about the verb choices you made. Great work also doing some code work and reading. Have a great weekend as well.
      Miss Tew

• 12th June 2020 at 5:41 pm

Hi miss moloney

thank you for my school report and my family were that that I got all them A and I came wait to see you.