We hope you have enjoyed your half term week. What has been your highlight?
Internet Safety (This activity is to completed at home)
Here is some further activities to keep you all safe on the online (Answers are at the bottom of the blog post)
Activity 1: Watch Play Like Share, Episode 2
- Watch Episode 2: Who’s Magnus? with your child at www.thinkuknow.co.uk/8_10/watch/ .
- Use the following questions to chat about the cartoon:
- What did you think? What did you like about this episode?
- What does Sam do with Megan’s baby photo?
- How does Megan feel and what does she do in response?
- What upsets Ellie and who does she turn to?
- Is Magnus the best person to support Ellie? Who else could help? [Ellie has only just met Magnus online and doesn’t know him ‘in real life’, so he is not a good source of support for her. It would be better to talk to a close friend, family member or another adult she trusts.]
Activity 2: What is OK to share?
- Ask your child what they remember about Episode 2 of Play Like Share.
- Explain it is important to think about how someone else might feel if you share a photo or video of them. Sometimes people share photos or videos that might be unkind, or upset or embarrass other people. Ask your child:
6. When does this happen in PLS? [Sam shares a baby photo of Megan]
- With your child, read each scenario below and ask them to answer with thumbs up, down and sideways!
- Discuss their answers, using the answer sheet located at the bottom of the blog post.
The ground began to shake. Birds sprang from the branches of trees in a state of panic as the huge figure crawled out of the earth.
First it was an elbow…Then a head…Then a colossal, moss-covered, stone face …
Choose one word to describe the giant. What has awoken the giant? What was he doing under the ground? How will people react to him? What will he do next?
Imagine you are the first person to meet the giant. What would you say to him? How do you think he will reply. Record your conversation with him using inverted commas for the speech.
Improve these sentences: The big giant opened his mouth and yelled. His big head was a grey colour. He was really big and angry.
An almighty bellow erupted from the giant’s enormous mouth, shaking the windows of the house. He dragged his immense torso out of the ground, then his feet (which were the size of double-decker buses) and stood up to his full height.
Menacingly, he turned and strolled towards the house, a look of hunger in his bulging eyes…
Carry on the story. What happens next? Who will the giant meet? What will he do? What type of character will he be?
Remember to include a balance of speech, action and dialogue in your story. Make sure you use a range of sentence starters and include a relative clause in your writing.
What is the best book that you have read at home? We have assigned a book all about Oceans and Seas for you to read on the Scholastic website. There are some amazing images in it. The image of the Pacific Ring of fire is spectacular. What is your favourite fact from the book.
JK Rowling has released a new story online for you to read. It is called ‘The Ickabog’. You can find it at https://www.theickabog.com/read-the-story/
This weeks lessons are all about volume.
This week, we have set a reading activity and some grammar revision on Sats Companion. Well done to the following pupils who attempted one tor both of the arithmetic tests.
Following on from the geography we were looking at in school, here is an activity to help you learn more about:
Sustainability and plastics
Internet Safety – Answers
- Shares the photo and makes it public
- She feels angry/upset. She uses Sam’s account to write a mean comment about Ellie and Alfie.
- She thinks that Sam is posting mean comments about her. Megan is unkind to her and she loses the guitar-off. She turns to Magnus, who she has met online.
- Ellie has only just met Magnus online and doesn’t know him ‘in real life’, so he is not a good source of support for her. It would be better to talk to a close friend, family member or another adult she trusts.
- Sam shares a baby photo of Megan
Use this worksheet to help your discussion.
Have a great week!
Mrs Hatfield, Miss Whaites and Mrs Turiccki