Year 4 – Home Learning Week Commencing 1st June

Hello everyone,

We hope you had a lovely half term and have been enjoying the fantastic weather. We have some more ideas for you to try this week but we understand if, for any reason, you are unable to complete the tasks. Our biggest wish is for you all to be happy, healthy and safe. Make sure you keep smiling and helping your adults at home. We look forward to reading your comments every week on here as they brighten our days. If you have any questions remember you can comment on here, a grown up can message the school Facebook page or email enquiries@ectonbrook.org.uk

We hope you enjoy the activities for this week ๐Ÿ™‚

Miss Tew, Miss Moloney and Mrs Carsberg

Scholastic Reading and TT Rockstars

We have assigned a new book for you to read this week and it is a classic children’s novel (Anne of Green Gables). There are some tips for reading the book on page 4-5 and a character list on pages 6-7. Throughout the story, there are question prompts and activity ideas at the bottom of some pages. Once you have completed the book, there is a quiz for you to complete. ย Scholastic Reading Handout for Parents

Congratulations to Year 3 for winning the last battle on TT Rockstars. This week, we would like you to concentrate on your studio scores. See if you can set yourself a new personal best.

English Activity Ideas

Thank you for all the lovely work you completed linked to The Selfish Giant last term. We hope you enjoyed the book as much as we enjoyed reading all your wonderful writing. We have a brand new English topic this term and we will be using a series of pictures and videos to help inspire our writing. We will keep posting 5 tasks a week so you have an idea for each weekday and try to complete as many as you can.

Task 1: Make a prediction about what types of creatures might hatch from these eggs. You could write a paragraph about the creatures or draw some pictures.

Task 2: Design your own mystical egg. Be creative and think about the different ways you could design the shell. You could draw a picture or use some paints if you have them at home. You could design your egg using a computer or drawing app. While you are designing your egg, think about how the shell gives clues about the creature that is inside.

Task 3: Create a bank of adjectives you could use to describe your egg. Can you think of a simile as well? Try to make sure the adjectives gives clues about the creature inside. You need to think if your creature is friendly or unfriendly. Are they strong or weak? For example, an egg containing an unfriendly and strong creature could have adjectives such as spiky and unpleasant to describe it. An egg containing a friendly but weak creature could have adjectives such as delicate and colourful to describe it.

Task 4: You need to create a character to use in a story. You can create any character you like but they must have an interest in collecting things, specifically eggs! What does your character look like? Is there anything unusual about them? Write a paragraph or draw a picture surrounded by words and phrases about your character.

Task 5: Think about where all of these eggs came from and imagine you are going to write the opening to a story. Your story is called โ€˜The Collectorโ€™ and the opening must describe these eggs as well as where they came from. Remember to use the character you created for Task 4 in your opening. Does your collector know what is inside the eggs? How do they know where to look for them?

Maths Activity Ideas

Task 1: Look closely at the pictures. Make a list of any numbers, shapes or mathematical symbols that you can see.

Task 2: Create your own picture using a range of numbers and mathematical symbols. Challenge someone in your house to spot them all. Remember you can complete this as a pencil drawing, with colouring pencils/paints or use a computer. Challenge yourself to create your favourite animal or food using only numbers and symbols.

Task 3: Musical Maths โ€“ you are going to create a rhythm using your hands or a musical instrument like a drum or saucepan. Follow the rhythm:

clap, clap, clickโ€ฆclap, clap, clickโ€ฆ

What will you be doing on the 15th beat? How do you know this without actually doing it?

What will you be doing on the 20th beat? Again, explain how you can predict this.

What about the 99th beat and the 100th beat?

Task 4: Create a new rhythm, for example:

1. click, clap, clap
  2. click, click, clap
  3. click, click, clap, clap

For each rhythm you create, answer the questions from Task 3. Do you spot any patterns? Does the number of steps in your rhythm link to any times tables?

Task 5: How far can you jump from a standing jump? Think about how you will measure how far you have jumped. You might have a tape measure or you could measure in footsteps. Compare how far you can jump starting on one foot to starting on two feet. Repeat the jumps at least 5 times making sure that you measure each one. Did you jump the same distance each time? See if you can ask someone else in your house to complete some jumps and compare their distances to yours.

Knowledge Organiser Task

Science โ€“ Sound

Sit quietly somewhere at home. Make a list of all the sounds you hear. Listen inside your house in a room with all the windows closed. What is the loudest noise you can hear? Are you able to hear any noises from outside the room? Ask a grown up if you can open a window. Does the volume of the sounds change? Why do you think this is? Write down any new sounds you can hear now you have opened the window. Use your Knowledge Organiser from Spring 2 to help you write about the volume and pitch of sounds you have heard. You could even draw a diagram of how the sound entered your ear, thinking carefully about the shape of the sound wave you draw dependent on the volume and pitch.

All Knowledge Organisers:

24 thoughts on “Year 4 – Home Learning Week Commencing 1st June

• 31st May 2020 at 4:34 pm

Hi miss moloney

I have been doing task 1 to find what creatures might hatch from the eggs

So what I thought would hatch out from these eggs birds, duck. Chicken so these are some facts for them

Bird fact ๐Ÿฆ

They are warm-blooded and lay eggs. Their bodies are covered with feathers and they have wings. Feathers have three functions: flight, temperature regulation and display. Most birds have hollow main bones with air sacs in them. This makes them lighter and makes flight easier.
    Different types of birds eat different foods. Most birds are carnivorous meaning that they eat flesh, at least some of the time. Many birds live on insects or on fish. Some eat small reptiles and mice. Birds of prey eat mammals and other birds. Some birds are scavengers and eat the bodies of creatures that have died. Many birds such as parrots and finches live on seeds and fruit. Some birds that eat mainly seeds feed their young on insects. A few types of birds eat green plants, but only one species lives on leaves (the hoatzin). Hummingbirds and honeyeaters live on the nectar or honey in flowers.

Duckling fact๐Ÿค

An animal’s gestation period is the length of time an embryo needs to fully develop. Birds have a simple form of reproduction, explains San Francisco State University. Unlike mammals, a bird’s embryo growth occurs outside of the mother’s womb. However, the egg membrane offers nourishment for the embryo during its development.The length of a gestation period varies from bird to bird. Oftentimes, larger birds require longer gestation periods than smaller birds. For example, muscovy ducks โ€“ one of North America’s largest ducks โ€“ require approximately 35 days for gestation, while smaller ducks have gestation periods of less than 30 days. Smaller perching birds, such as northern mockingbirds, have a gestation period of only 13 to 15 days. A smaller bird of prey, the red-tailed hawk, has a gestation period of 28 to 32 days, while the California condor needs at least 56 days for the gestating period.

Chicken facts ๐Ÿ”

People have been raising chickens for more than 7,000 years. Chickens were first domesticated in India and China. You might think of chickens as farm animals, but even people in cities can raise a few chickens in the backyard.
    hickens will naturally live for six or more years, but broilers typically take less than six weeks to reach slaughter size. A free range or organic broiler will usually be slaughtered at about 14 weeks of age. Reared for eggs. Chickens farmed primarily for eggs are called layer hens. In total, the UK alone consumes more than 34 million eggs per day.

• 2nd June 2020 at 9:09 am

Wow Shaymaa! That’s a lot of facts you have found there! Are there any other animals or creatures that hatch from eggs?

Keep up your hard work!

Miss Moloney

• 1st June 2020 at 10:58 am

Hi Miss Tew,
    I have been working on the first English task and this is what I have written:

I think that they are magical flying Eel type creatures known as Fitwes. These harmless ‘things’ are spotted at dawn and are quite big. There is a ‘EW’ (Electric Water type), ‘TF’ (Toxic Fire type) and ‘IS’ (Ice Steel type). If you spot them, it brings you good luck. They are not distinctive so you have to have a good look. Luckily they are friendly but they have strong, dangerous powers that are used for self defence. The Fitwes eat Carbon Dioxide through their skin and produce Oxygen which they release from their mouths.

Hope that you had a good half term.
    Ellis

• 1st June 2020 at 11:35 am

Hello Ellis,
      I had a lovely half term thank you. I hope you and your family did as well. Thank you for sending through the picture of the golf course last week it was superb!
      You have been very busy already. The magical flying eel sound brilliant. I think I would like to find an IS-type Fitwes. What are the similarities and differences between the different types of Fitwes? Do they all look the same? Fantastic use of the word ‘distinctive’ in your paragraph. I could imagine the rest of the class acknowledging it and saying, “That’s one of our words!” ๐Ÿ™‚
      Miss Tew

• 3rd June 2020 at 2:11 pm

Hello Miss Moloney, Here is my egg for Task 1!

I think something that would come from these eggs is a turtle corn. A turtle corn has a pink, bumpy shell it has 3 eyes shaped like triangles. This is a rare mystified creature. It is often found in South Unianda. 5/100 people have found this creature. It is very optimistcal. It has silky, rainbow hair and glowing feet. It has silver wings as shiny as can be and whiskers as thin as a stick.

• 5th June 2020 at 1:05 pm

Hey Nour, what an incredibly awesome creature. Have you drawn a picture of it. I hope so as you are wonderful at drawing and I would like to see the Turtle Corn one day!!
          I hope you and your family are all ok.
          Take care
          Miss Moloney

• 1st June 2020 at 2:15 pm

Hi miss moloney,

Today I have been doing task 2 and task 3

On task 2 I thought of some adjectives to describe the eggs in the picture so these are the adjectives I thought some :

Spotty
    Plain
    Courful
    Silky
    Shattered
    Small
    Large
    Medium
    Hard
    Oval

• 2nd June 2020 at 9:10 am

Great describing words! Can you find one which you have spelt slightly wrong? See if you can find it and type the correct spelling back. Well done!

• 2nd June 2020 at 2:28 pm

Hi Miss Tew,
    I have completed another 2 tasks today – I have done a number and symbol picture on word art and have designed my own eggs on 3d paint. My mum has sent pictures to you. I hope you like them and they are the perfect things to help the environment. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Ellis

• 2nd June 2020 at 4:42 pm

Good afternoon ๐Ÿ˜€
      I have seen your pictures and I loved that you completed them using a computer this time. The colours in both pictures are fantastic and bright. In the numbers picture I could see the numbers 1-9. I also spotted the symbols for multiplication, addition, and subtraction as well as hashtags and the approximate symbol.
      With your eggs picture, I have predicted which egg matches to the three types you described. I think the top picture is for IS type, middle picture is TF type and the bottom picture EW type.
      Keep up the hard work!
      Miss Tew ๐Ÿ™‚

• 2nd June 2020 at 2:51 pm

Hi miss moloney I have been doing task 4 today

So I made up a character that is very interesting about collecting things so I came up with a paragraph so It goes like this:

Once upon a time there was a girl called Sarah and all she loved to do was just pick up eggs and the thing that unusual about her that

• 5th June 2020 at 10:22 am

Hi Shaymaa, I am wondering what is interesting about Sarah? Why does she like to pick up eggs?

Miss Moloney

• 3rd June 2020 at 8:13 am

Hi Miss Tew

I’m entering the Blue Peter competition about designing the super car of the FURETER. I feel like I’ve got a chance of winning because of it’s hovering ability and it low impact on the environment. Wish me luck.

Ellis

• 3rd June 2020 at 10:07 am

That sounds great! I would love a car that could hover and have a low impact on the environment. Good luck ๐Ÿ˜€
      Miss Tew

• 3rd June 2020 at 9:28 am

Hi Miss Moloney

Are there any more of the white rose maths worksheets please?

Phoebe

• 5th June 2020 at 12:19 pm

Hi Phoebe,
      Sorry for my delay. Hope you and your family are keeping well. We miss you!
      Unfortunately, we are no longer able to access the White Rose worksheets however if you use BBC Bitesize there are similar things on there and they sometimes have links to White Rose. Later on today, we will be adding another blog with some new maths activities for you.
      Keep working hard!
      Miss Moloney

• 3rd June 2020 at 1:58 pm

Hello

On Scholastic I cannot access all the books smaller than my lexile or the same as it. Why is that???

• 3rd June 2020 at 2:44 pm

Hi Maria,
      I have taken a look at the Scholastic website and it does not give me a setting to allow you access to books smaller than your lexile. The lexile score is given to you based on the test you completed and the website is designed to improve this score which is why it only gives you access to books above your lexile. If there is a book you would really like to read, let me know the title and I should be able to assign it to you.
      Miss Tew ๐Ÿ™‚

• 3rd June 2020 at 2:01 pm

Hi

I have been doing most of my homework on paper but sometimes I will do it through comments on the blog. I hope everyone is safe and healthy. โ˜บ๏ธโ˜บ๏ธ๐Ÿ‘

• 3rd June 2020 at 2:46 pm

That’s great to hear. I am happy for you to complete your work wherever is best for you. Keep working hard ๐Ÿ™‚ I also hope you are keeping safe and healthy.
      Miss Tew

• 3rd June 2020 at 2:11 pm

Hello Miss Moloney, Here is my egg for Task 1!

• 5th June 2020 at 10:17 am

Wow! What an incredibly awesome creature! Have you drawn it? I hope to see a picture of it one day soon. Well done!

• 5th June 2020 at 2:13 pm

Hi Miss Tew,
    I have been completing more tasks today. I have enjoyed doing the maths music tasks – I’ve also looked at the BBC Bring The Noise interactive tool, its cool. For English, I created a character for my Egg themed story and have also written the start of the story…

There once lived a boy called Harry who loved collecting eggs. He was an orphan and was only 10 years old. He would often sneak out at night and search for them. One night, he found an egg which was not in his Encyclopaedia of Eggs. What a find! ๐Ÿ˜Š. He rushed back to the orphanage to raise what was inside it. It suddenly hatched right before his eyes and out came a magical creature which looked like an eel but it was amazingly flying in mid-air. Seeing Harry, it raced out the pale window and was never seen again.

I hope you like it. Have a good weekend.
    Ellis

• 5th June 2020 at 3:25 pm

Hello again ๐Ÿ˜€
      You have been extremely busy this week; I am very impressed. Thank you for sharing the start of your story. Parts of it remind me of Anne of Green Gables; brilliant work! I love your different openers and the varied lengths of sentences that you used. You have thought carefully about the verb choices you have made as well. Keep up the hard work.
      Enjoy your weekend, hopefully there will be less rain than we’ve had today.
      Miss Tew ๐Ÿ™‚