Hi Year 5,
How has your week been? We have been busy writing your school reports. It has been lovely to think about how well all of you have done during your time in Year 5. We have had some great comments on the blog but we would love to hear from more of you. To write a comment, make sure you scroll to the bottom of the post.
Here is some further activities to keep you all safe on the online
Activity 1: Alfie’s videos
Watch Episode 1: Block Him Right Good, Alfie again with your child at www.thinkuknow.co.uk/8_10/watch/
Look at the sheet below with Alfie’s profile. Alfie has taken some important steps to make sure that he is safe when he is making videos and posting them online. Write down four steps Alfie has taken.
Once completed, discuss your answers with your parents and see if you can identity any missing steps (Answers are at the bottom of the blog post)
Activity 2: Being kind online
- Ask your child what they remember about Episode 1 of Play Like Share. (Answers are at the bottom of the blog post)
- Who wrote a mean comment about Alfie?
- Who liked’ the comment?
- Why wasn’t this a kind thing to do?
- Explain when we write or post something online, we must always think about how we might make other people feel.
- What positive words could Ellie, Alfie and Sam use to describe each other?
- Look at the Resource below titled Being kind online. Draw pictures of each character and write down as many positive words and phrases as you can think of next to each character using any clues in the video to help.
It had all started out as a dare.
“No-one is brave enough to camp out in the woods all alone” they had all said.
So far, he had proved them wrong but today that was all about to change.
Activity 1 – Look at the image and the story starter. What is a dare? Who do you think dared the boy to sleep in the woods? How do you think he felt when he set up his camp? In the morning he felt relieved. Why do you think his feelings changed?
Activity 2 – Create a word bank of things you might hear, see, feel and smell in the woods. Think about whether these are the same or different at night time.
Activity 3 – Improve these sentences. He opened the tent. He looked outside. It was light.
Activity 4 – Use the image and the story starter to write the story. What do you think happens next? Will he leave the tent? Will someone or something appear? Try using similes, metaphors and personification to improve your description. Remember use ISPACE openers. Don’t forget to edit your stories.
We can not wait to read some of your stories.
You can continue to use the Scholastic Virtual Reading Library online allowing you to access lots of different books on their website. We have assigned you a book of funny poems to read. Have a look and choose your favorite.
The Scholastic Reading Pro website (https://educator-slz03.scholasticlearningzone.com/slz-portal/#/login3/GBR2VCR) (look at the previous blog posts to set up your log ins)
We will be continuing with Measurement in Oak Academy and we are on lesson 5 (we have checked through for any error). Remember to read all the units carefully as they do shift around.
Monday – Lesson 6
Tuesday – Lesson 7
Wednesday – Lesson 8
Thursday – Lesson 9
Friday – Lesson 10
This week, we have set you an arithmetic test on Sats Companion to keep you ticking over with those valuable skills.
Well done to the following people who put lots of effort into their SC last week.
This lessons teaches you about the seven continents and five oceans of the world and how to map them using a globe and an atlas.
Internet Safety – Answers
Activity 1: Alfie’s Video
- Profile picture is an avatar, not an actual photo
- Username does not feature his name.
- Privacy set to friends only.
- Wears clothes that are not school uniform or private, like pyjamas.
Activity 2: Being kind online
- The Popcorn Wizards
- Sam is meant to be Alfie’s friend