Year 1 Home Learning – Week Commencing 18th May

Year 1 Home learning                                              Week 18th May 2020

Reading

Four times a week

This week please focus on your comprehensionPlease ask your adult to quiz you as much as possible on what you have read. Please see the Vibers bookmark at the bottom of this post for lots of questioning ideas.

More books can be found at: Oxford Owl e-books library

On the library page click on…levels, book band and choose your child’s sticker colour.

You can also read books from home. Remember to read a range of texts: fiction and non fiction books, poems, recipes, instructions, magazines etc.

Phonics

Everyday

Phonics Play – play games for your phonics stage – https://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/freeIndex.htm

BBC Bitesize English – https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/subjects/zgkw2hv

ICT Games. – Here is a lovely website with lots of activities related to phonics, English and other useful topic activities.  https://www.ictgames.com/mobilePage/literacy.html

Twinkl– Type in your phonic phase or particular sound into the search bar at the top

Youtube– these videos are great!

Alphablocks

Mr Thorne

Geraldine the Giraffe

Epic Phonics

Mr MC

English

Use a sound mat to help you find the sounds you need.

This week’s English is all about stories. Watch the daily lesson from BBC Bitesize and complete Activity 1.

You will need paper and a pen or pencil for this activity.

Activity 1: Favourite books

Write the names of the people you live with or your wider family and ask them what their favourite childhood books were. Next to each name, try to write the titles of their favourite books.

Do the titles of each book give you some clues about what they might be like?

Now you have a list of some books you can read! And you can share your opinion with each person after you’ve read them.

Watch the daily lesson from BBC Bitesize and complete Activity 2.

You will need paper and a pen or pencil for this activity.

Activity 2. How good are you at predicting?

Do you remember the story called ‘The Magic Faraway Tree‘. Using the start of the sentences below, write some simple sentences about what you think the story is about.

I think _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I hope _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I wonder _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __

You will need paper and a pen or pencil for this activity.

Activity 3 Predicting and Listening

There is a book called ‘I Want My Hat Back’ using the same sentences as Activity 2, write about what you think the book will be about. Then listen to the clip below…. were you right?

I Want My Hat Back Video

Maths  This week in Maths we are practicing counting in twos! The clip below takes you to Scratch Garden on You Tube – Counting by Twos. Watch the clip again and see if you can keep up with the counting.

Counting on and back in 2s within 50

The first video shows you how to count in 2. Before you watch, try to find 20 small objects to help with counting. These could be toys, cars, building blocks, raisins…

Socks are also good because they come in pairs!

Let’s take a look at the first question.

There are five bikes, how many wheels are there?

Count along with the video to find out.

If two more bikes cross the finish line. How many wheels are there now?

Watch the second video to find out.

Useful vocabulary

• 2s – a group of two 1s. Counting in 2s means counting in steps of , like this: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10.
  • Pairs – a group of two objects.
  • Number line – a straight line showing numbers in order to help children add and subtract.
  • Ten frame – a 2 x 5 grid that allows children to group together objects into tens to help with efficient counting

Can you write the numbers and fill in the ones which are missing?

Topic  Animals

For this week’s topic we are going to see if we can remember learning about animals…. watch the clips below and see if it jogs your memory.

NB BBC Bitesize refers to insects as minibeasts but the actual term is insects.

Animals

Test yourself. Can you remember the names of the animal groups? See below to check you got them all.

Look at the pictures below, can you guess which group each animal belongs to? Which heading do you come under?

Challenge question

Is a shark a mammal or a fish?

Animals

Play this game on BBC Bitesize. Let’s see what you can remember!

14 thoughts on “Year 1 Home Learning – Week Commencing 18th May

• 16th May 2020 at 5:06 pm

Hi Miss Froggot,

I have done some of my homework what you send me to do at home.

• 19th May 2020 at 12:31 pm

Hi Abdurrahmaan its great to hear from you!

I am so glad you have been keeping busy and working hard at home! What homework have you been doing? Keep working hard.

Take care, Miss Froggatt 🙂

• 20th May 2020 at 11:12 am

The link for I want my hat back in English won’t work.

• 20th May 2020 at 6:02 pm

Hi Miss Froggatt,

I done a little bit of my maths homework this week .

• 20th May 2020 at 8:07 pm

Hi Adburrahmaan, it looks like you are working very hard from home. Keep up the good work! Did you find anything in your house that come in twos?

Miss Froggatt 🙂

• 22nd May 2020 at 10:19 am

hello Mrs Startup,

Coeyn has been doing amazing with his maths this week he has counted in 2′ and 5’s to 100 and beyond and has been enjoying his work. I have printed off some dot to dots in 2’s for him and some maths colouring where he needs to work out the sum to know what colour to colour in each part.

His English work has been good as well, he has enjoyed predicting what will happen in the stories. The link didn’t work for the story so I found him a different one on you tube but it scared him when the bear realised where he had seen his hat as it was a siren going in and out on the bears angry face! (whoops)

I was wondering if we could move him up to phase 6 phonics? he has been doing amazing, we have been playing the nerf game where I say the sound and he shoots it, his spellings have been amazing and we have even done some of Wyatts with him just to see. I am trying to keep his brain going and interested but phonics seems to be one that is getting too repetative for him.

• 22nd May 2020 at 5:27 pm

Good afternoon Anna,

What a fantastic week! Coeyn has been working very hard. Two house points for his Maths work. I think it would be great for Coeyn to start to link his counting in 2s, 5s, and 10s to those times tables. For example, he could start to group objects into groups of 2s and count how many groups of 2s he has.
      That’s such a shame that the English link didn’t work. One house point for predicting what would happen in the story.
      Finally it sounds like Coeyn is doing really well with his reading, two house points! I’m happy for him to access Phase 6 phonics a couple of times a week. For the rest of the week please keep giving him some Phase 5c alternative spellings activities. You can find lots of these on the website ‘twinkl’. This is to make sure that he is confident at choosing the correct spelling for the word that he’s trying to write. If you notice any that he’s miss-using then please go back over those alternative spellings with him. For example where the ‘j’ sound can be written as ‘j,g,ge,dge’ or the ‘s’ sound can be written as ‘s,c,sc’. As you said, he is very good at reading these but he also needs to be able to choose which alternative spelling to use when writing.
      It has been great to hear from you and please keep me updated on your home learning journey. You’re doing an amazing job!

Take care and I look forward to hearing from you again.
      Mrs Startup 🙂

• 22nd May 2020 at 2:49 pm

Yes Miss Fraggatt,

My adidas trainer’s.

• 25th May 2020 at 3:46 pm

Wow! Great job Abdurrahmaan! 🙂

Miss Froggatt

• 22nd May 2020 at 2:54 pm

Hi,Miss Froggatt

Is a shark a mammal or a fish?

A shark is a fish not a mammal.

• 27th May 2020 at 4:22 pm

Hi,Mrs Startup
    I am Eiko, i miss you so much.
    I learned English and maths.
    I do a lot of exercise with my little brother and Mom sitting on the sofa watching us.
    I also learned the Chinese words.

see you soon
    love from EIKO.

• 28th May 2020 at 8:06 pm

Hi Eiko,
      It’s great to hear from you. I miss you all so much too. Well done for trying your best with your home learning. It sounds like you have been working very hard. Two house points for completing your English and Maths and one more for all that exercise you have been doing!
      I would really like it if you could teach me your new Chinese words when were back at school 🙂
      Take care and I hope to see you soon
      🙂