Hope you are all safe and enjoying time with your families.
We have added some further links for next week’s home learning. It is really important that you keep reading and using the resources below. If you feel you are struggling with some of the subjects, please feel free to visit the year five or even year four’s blogs to get some ideas from the other year groups or use the content from Oak Academy (https://www.thenational.academy/online-classroom/subjects/#subjects) or BBC Bitesize (https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/dailylessons)
It is important to leave a comment if there are any issues with the work set or if you are just want to tell us how you are getting on at home.
Each week we will add some support in keeping safe on the internet.
Activity 1: Watch Play Like Share, Episode 1
- Find Play Like Share at www.thinkuknow.co.uk/8_10/watch
- Watch Episode 1: Block Him Right Good, Alfie with your child.
- Use the following questions to chat about the cartoon:
- What did you think? What did you like about Play Like Share?
- What different things do Sam, Ellie and Alfie do online? [E.g. make videos, talk to people, learn to sing, share their songs]
- What problem did Alfie face at the beginning of the cartoon? [Another gamer messaged Alfie, asking to game with him. Alfie said no as he
had to go to school]
- How did the gamer make Alfie feel? [Happy at first and then uncomfortable and worried when he started making threats]
- What did Alfie do when he realised something wasn’t right? [Didn’t reply. Told a trusted adult, his mum. Blocked the gamer. Reported to
- What happened when Selfie’s video was made public? How did it make them feel? [People they didn’t know wrote nasty or strange
comments. Received links to adverts. They felt worried and uncomfortable.]
Activity 2: Design a poster for Selfie
- Ask your child to create a poster for Sam, Ellie and Alfie’s new band Selfie
- Encourage them to come up with a design that shows off each
character’s talents and personality.
- We’d love to see your work! If you like, find us on Facebook (Click CEOP) and share a photo of your child’s picture.
- Artwork only please! Do not share your child’s name or personal information, or any pictures of your child.
Reading using the Scholastic Virtual Reading Library.
Make sure that you have logged onto Scholastic Virtual Reading Library as there are lots of brilliant books that you can read online.
For those children who have not logged onto the Scholastic Reading Pro website (https://educator-slz03.scholasticlearningzone.com/slz-portal/#/login3/GBR2VCR) please find enclosed the login details below.
Enter your username and password (remember that they are case sensitive)
Username: (first three letters of the pupil’s first name followed by first three letters of surname) All lowercase
For example: Harry Potter would be Username: hatpot
If you have any issues accessing the website, please contact the school at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Reading and Writing
You can continue to use the Scholastic Virtual Reading Library online allowing you to access lots of different books on their webs
We are exploring the skills of writing a Setting Description this week, though some comprehension tasks and exploring its features.
Monday – Setting descriptions Reading Comprehension focussing on inference – https://www.thenational.academy/year-6/english/setting-description-lesson-1-reading-focus-year-6-wk3-1#slide-1
Tuesday – Setting descriptions Reading Comprehension focussing on inference – https://www.thenational.academy/year-6/english/setting-description-lesson-2-reading-focus-year-6-wk3-2#slide-1
Wednesday – Identifying the features of a setting description – https://www.thenational.academy/year-6/english/setting-description-lesson-3-identifying-features-year-6-wk3-3
Thursday – Using Figurative Language – https://www.thenational.academy/year-6/english/setting-description-lesson-4-figurative-language-year-6-wk3-4
Friday – Describing a setting – https://www.thenational.academy/year-6/english/setting-description-lesson-5-describing-a-setting-year-6-wk3-5
This week you will be looking at classifying shapes (triangles and quadrilaterals) and finding unknown angles (around a point and in both triangles and quadrilaterals)
Monday – Finding the value of a missing angle – https://www.thenational.academy/year-6/maths/find-the-value-of-missing-angles-year-6-wk3-1
Tuesday – Compare and classify triangles – https://www.thenational.academy/year-6/maths/compare-and-classify-triangles-year-6-wk3-2
Wednesday – Compare and classify quadrilaterals – https://www.thenational.academy/year-6/maths/compare-and-classify-quadrilaterals-year-6-wk3-3
Thursday – Find the unknown angles in triangles –https://www.thenational.academy/year-6/maths/find-unknown-angles-in-triangles-year-6-wk3-4
Friday – Find the unknown angles in quaderalaterals – https://www.thenational.academy/year-6/maths/calculate-unknown-angles-in-quadrilaterals-year-6-wk3-5
Science – How Plants Reproduce
Learn how plants reproduce.
This lesson includes:
- two videos showing how plants reproduce
- two activities to reinforce learning
History – What did the ancient Egyptians believe in?
Learn about ancient Egyptian beliefs and practices.
This lesson includes:
- one video about the many different gods ancient Egyptians worshipped
- two activities to build knowledge
Geography – Trade and economy
Learn about trade and economic activity including export and import, supply and demand.
This lesson includes:
- one video introducing trade including export and import
- one video introducing economic activity including supply and demand
- three activities to build on the knowledge
Computing – Algorithms and debugging