Year 5 Home learning – Week commencing 11th May

Hi all,

We hope you have had a good week and are looking forward to enjoying your weekend. Here are next week’s activities.

Internet safety

It is great that you are all able to continue learning whilst at home but it is important to stay safe online. Here are some links to help you to be safe when working at home on your device. Share these with an adult.

Think You Know Online Safety at Home

Think You Know information for Parents about online safety

English

This week will focus on persuasive writing. You will work through some reading and grammar activities before writing your own persuasive letter of your choice. Try and share some of your sentences which have a list of three. You can share your letters and with us on the blog too. We would love to see if you can persuade us. As previous weeks, there are spellings included in the lessons.

Lesson 1 – https://www.thenational.academy/year-5/english/persuasive-letter-reading-comprehension-inference-year-5-wk3-1

Lesson 2 – https://www.thenational.academy/year-5/english/persuasive-letter-reading-comprehension-word-meaning-year-5-wk3-2

Lesson 3 –https://www.thenational.academy/year-5/english/persuasive-letter-identifying-the-features-of-a-text-year-5-wk3-3

Lesson 4 –https://www.thenational.academy/year-5/english/persuasive-letter-spag-focus-list-of-three-year-5-wk3-4

Lesson 5 –https://www.thenational.academy/year-5/english/persuasive-letter-write-a-persuasive-letter-year-5-wk3-5

Reading

Remember to access the Scholastic reading library. Well done to those of you who have logged on each week. Try summarising one of your texts this week and sharing it with someone at home. Start by summarising it in three sentences then one sentence before using just one word to summarise what you have read.

Maths

This week, you will be converting measures (time and length) and you will be using this knowledge to help you solve problems. Remember to use jottings to help you. When you are solving problems, think about what you know and what you need to find out. What can you do to help you solve it? Share any hints and tips on the blog.

Lesson 1 https://www.thenational.academy/year-5/maths/to-convert-between-seconds-minutes-and-hours-year-5-wk3-1

Lesson 2 https://www.thenational.academy/year-5/maths/to-solve-problems-involving-converting-between-hours-and-minutes-year-5-wk3-2

Be aware in this lesson that you may need to convert your answers from minutes to hours. Here is a short video that will help you to do that.

Lesson 3 https://www.thenational.academy/year-5/maths/to-convert-between-units-of-length-year-5-wk3-3

Lesson 4 https://www.thenational.academy/year-5/maths/to-apply-length-conversions-to-problems-year-5-wk3-4

Lesson 5 https://www.thenational.academy/year-5/maths/to-find-the-perimeter-and-convert-units-of-measurements-year-5-wk3-5

TT Rockstars

Congratualtions to 5MW who beat both 5TH and 5LT.

5MW 8472 points

5LT 5411 points

5TH 3924 points

There is a new battle this week. Year 5 will be taking on Year 4. Who will be triumphant?

SATs Companion

Your work will focus on converting measure. You will have all week to complete it.

Science

We are going to learn about how plants reproduce using BBC bitesize. There are 2 animations to watch and some information to read. Use the information to help you answer the 2 quizzes. Bees are extremely important for pollination but they are declining in numbers. Carry out some research about bees and suggest some reasons for their decline and some ways in which we can help them.

Art

Andrew Goldsworthy is a sculpture who uses materials that he finds in the environment around him to create beautiful works of art.

Here are some children’s artworks inspired by Andrew Goldsworthy:

Watch these short videos and then have a go at making your own natural art in your garden or outdoor area.

Take a photograph of your artwork and get your adult to post it under the facebook link.

As a little extra this week, why not try baking? Mrs Hatfield has made these cookies and they are delicious. Tell us what you think.

Have a great week.

Miss Whaites, Mrs Hatfield and Mrs Turiccki

23 thoughts on “Year 5 Home learning – Week commencing 11th May

• 8th May 2020 at 12:09 pm

Hello, it’s Rosie again! this is my English work.

Deep inside what wizards call the forbidden forest sleeps a creature. Slowly, you walk around the beast as not to wake him. You wonder what the part eagle, part horse was doing unaccompanied by fellows. The Hippogriff stirred and you stumble back feeling that you may trip. Alas, you hit a nearby branch.

Snap! The noise had caused the beasts green eyes to open you see the reflection of yourself in the glistening eyes of the Hippogriff. The wings of the creature that looked heavy, stretched open. You see a beak rise from the ground. The tail of the Hippogriff, hung on by what looked like a rope? No, it was not a rope it was feathers. As the beast slowly stands up a shiver runs down your spine and terror takes your breath away.

• 13th May 2020 at 11:40 am

Wow! What a fantastic piece of writing Rosie. Well done. I love the tension you have built towards the end of the piece.
      You have used onomatopoeia at the start of the second paragraph very well, could you use another figurative writing technique to add even more detail? A simile maybe?
      Well done!
      Miss Whaites

• 12th May 2020 at 8:04 pm

that was amazing. great job

• 13th May 2020 at 10:54 am

Hi, Please can you resend me Oliver Bowlers sats login details, the laptop broke last night with all the passwords saved !

• 13th May 2020 at 11:48 am

We will send you an email with the login.

• 14th May 2020 at 11:54 am

hi, its Nytia and i have some old home work. i didnt know if any adults wanted it.

Fear entered her collapsed body as the eerie fog swallowed the night sky. She was alone. She continued to amble into the depths of what seemed to be a lake, frightened of what she could hear. The shattered remains, of which stood in front of her, screamed continuously. It cried, yelled, screeched, yet she stood, watched. Silences flew around the isolated lake, as she continued to stare. her lantern, flickering beside her, exposed them to the haunting night sky.

After what seemed like a long time, she grew tired. Her pase began to slow. Heavily breathing, she started to sink into the water. She struggled and screamed, yet all that was seen was the mournful sky which stood above her. Suddenly, all her memories came flooding back to her. “my name is Ava,” she thought. No matter what memories she could remember, she still slowly sank into the depths of the mysterious water-space.

this goes with the image of the girl in the lake.

• 19th May 2020 at 11:12 am

Hi Nytia,

What a fantastic piece of writing! I am actually quite scared after reading this. You have used short sentences really well to build tension. I love the way you have included what the girl can hear. ‘Silence flew around the isolated lake’ is my favourite line. Amazing!
      Remember to always use a capital letter at the start of a sentence as well as at the start of speech.
      Well done Nytia, I can’t wait to read your next piece of writing.

Miss Whaites

• 15th May 2020 at 10:00 am

hi again, its Nytia. those cookies look amazing. i am currently in mini school and am looking forward to seeing all my friends again. at the moment, my favorite mini subject is maths. i am not a fan of maths yet during this confusing time i have managed to catch up. i am also enjoying doing cooking. so far we have made pizzas, they were yummy. i cant wait to get to talk to all my friends and teacher about all the fun thing mini school has been up to. i hope you have all kept well and safe, and wish you all the best.

enjoy your time at home.
    Nytia.

• 15th May 2020 at 3:09 pm

Sorry that I missed you when I was in Mini School N. We made the cookies and they were delicious. I look forward to hearing about all the amazing things you have been doing.

Mrs Hatfield

• 15th May 2020 at 10:13 am

dear Mrs Hatfield and other adults,

during lock down,you have posted many activities on the blog. if it was possible i would prefer not to do the lessons and to have other writing things. i have found that i do not enjoy them and struggle to pay attention because i do not find them interesting. if you were to take these off the blog, i would like to have a picture to write about. the last time you put up a picture i love writing the story and wished to do more. if you didn’t see i have posted the story that i wrote. also can we have online lessons to do with school council because i am currantly a school counsiler and think that it would be a great time to share ideas over the blog.

• 19th May 2020 at 11:01 am

Hi Nytia,

Thank you so much for your thoughts, this was really helpful.
      We have put on a picture for English this week and we all can’t wait to read the work you produce from this. You have been working very hard and we have loved reading your work. Well done!

Miss Whaites

• 15th May 2020 at 11:27 am

Hi i am Megan , I love using scholastic and i would really love having more battles of ttrockstars . I really love doing the battles and I would really hope that would encourage more people to go onto their ttrockstars account more then they normally would . I also like art and music , if you can , i would really love more because we don’t normally have art and music . If we don’t have a musical instrument then don’t have to do it but it can just be for the people who do . I hope you like my idea’s .

• 19th May 2020 at 11:51 am

Hi Megan,

Thank you so much for your ideas. I think some music work sounds fantastic. We will definitely look into something that can be done by everyone at home.
      The art has been very fun and we will certainly keep posting art projects every week. Have you enjoyed the outside art work we have set?

We love hearing your ideas! Please keep commenting if you think of anything else.

Miss Whaites

• 15th May 2020 at 11:45 am

Hello, its me again! Here is my Persuasive letter.

This is a very important letter from your daughter Rosie, proposing the idea of adopting a canine friend. I, feel that having a dog running around the house would be marvellous and would give me the responsibility that I need.

It will be joyous, exciting and beneficial to all of us. I would love a puppy. Don’t you agree? A fresh start. In addition, think how nice it would be to own a puppy and have it curl up on the sofa with you every night.

We would learn a lot about a dogs purpose when we adopt Ginny. We will all be especially grateful to people around us because if dogs can be kind and caring, why can’t we?

Hopefully, by reading this letter you will want to adopt a dog. And perhaps call it Ginny!

• 15th May 2020 at 11:57 am

You have persuaded me Rosie! I like your use of rhetorical questions and I am pleased to see you included a list of three in there. What has been your favourite activity on the blog so far?
      Mrs Turiccki

• 15th May 2020 at 12:15 pm

Online lessons would be great please. I know that other schools are doing it.

• 15th May 2020 at 1:40 pm

Hi again this is my writing
    This is a very important letter from your hard-working, dedicated son Ergi.I am writing to you today asking for permission for you to buy me a puppy. Firstly, I strongly believe that having a puppy will impact my health extremely positively because I will be taking it on walks which means I get more exercise. Surely someone as kind, generous and loving as you can not say no to this. Imagine how cute it will be watching a little puppy perched up next to you on the sofa. Don’t you agree?
    This amazing opportunity could change my life from just playing with it to feeding it, showering it and training it. Furthermore, I would truly appreciate it if you consider this amazing thought of getting a puppy.
    Is this not enough? Have I not persuaded you yet?Let me leave you with this last thought. Having a puppy will lift my spirits and teach me a lot about responsibilities.
    Hopefully this letter has made you think “Why not have a puppy.”
    Your son Ergi

• 15th May 2020 at 1:50 pm

I really think you should have a puppy after reading your letter. Your list of 3 is really effective. Think of some adjectives to add to puppy.
      What has been your favourite thing to do at home?
      Mrs Turiccki

• 15th May 2020 at 3:59 pm

This is the sentence for puppy
        I would love my puppy to be smooth, cute and friendly
        My favourite lesson is science

• 19th May 2020 at 1:55 pm

I am pleased you enjoyed the science. We will have a look at some more fun activities for Science.
          Mrs Turiccki

• 21st May 2020 at 10:35 am

I made some of those delicious cookies on my own. Great recipe Mrs Hatfield

• 21st May 2020 at 1:48 pm

That is great news Bryce. I am looking forward to making them myself soon. We will try and find some more delicious recipes for you to try. I hope you are enjoying this lovely weather.
      Mrs Turiccki

• 12th June 2020 at 4:46 pm

hi all hope you are keeping well. just wanted to see if you were fine.