Year 4 – Home Learning Week Commencing 27th April

Important Message: Please be aware that there is no expectation that the resources placed on the blog are printed off. The children should be able to respond directly or write the answer down after looking at the text, diagrams or pictures. If you are experiencing any problems, please write a comment below and we will do our best to address it.

Hello Year 4,

What a beautiful sunny week! We are all doing fine but we miss you all and hope you are all keeping busy. Remember to use this time to keep well, listen to your families and be kind.

This week we have set 5 tasks for English and Maths. You could try to do one each day of the week. We have also made a list of other websites you might like to use. Do as many as you can and let us know if you have any problems by commenting on the post or emailing enquiries@ectonbrook.org.uk

English

If you log into your Scholastic account, you have been assigned our class text for this term (The Selfish Giant by Oscar Wilde). We will be using the story to inspire our own writing. Below is the opening from the story which provides a setting description of the Giant’s garden.

In the middle of the quiet countryside, next to a quiet little village, lived a Giant. He had a big, beautiful stone house with a wide, wooden front door that had ivy growing all around it. The house was surrounded by a huge garden filled with sweet-smelling flowers that looked like stars, and lush green grass as soft as a carpet.

Twelve tall peach trees grew along the garden. In spring, they filled with delicate pink and white blossoms, in summer they provided wonderfully cool shade, and in autumn they bore rich, juicy peaches. A high stone wall ran all the way around the edge of the Giant’s garden, keeping the Giant in and anyone else out.

Task 1: Make a list of similes you find in the extract. Write some examples of your own. You can look through books you have or other books on the Scholastic site.

Task 2: Create a new setting description for your Giant’s garden. Use the following questions to help you. Are there flowers in the garden? How many? Where are they? What is the garden like in different seasons? What smells are there? What sounds are there?

Task 3Draw a picture of what you think the Giant looks like. Label the picture with descriptive words and phrases. Think about their personality as well as their appearance.

Task 4: Using the picture and phrases you thought of yesterday, write a character description of the giant.

Task 5: Design your own front cover for the story and write a blurb for the back cover.

Maths

We would like you to complete a number hunt around your house. Try to find between 10 and 20 different numbers. You must only look for numbers up to 4-digits so nothing bigger than 9,999. Food packaging is a great place to look for numbers. Let us know all the other places you discovered numbers.

Task 1Order your numbers in ascending order (smallest to largest). What do you notice? Write an explanation about how you know your numbers are in the correct order. Write a definition for descending order. How is it different to the order you have?

Task 2Represent your numbers in different ways. Draw your number using place value counters on a grid. Draw your number using base 10 blocks. Write your number in words. How many different ways can you partition your number using a part-whole model?

Task 3Choose pairs of numbers to add together. Remember you can draw a place value grid to help you. Challenge yourself by adding more than two of the numbers together. Can anyone find the total of all their numbers? Think about the different methods you could use and how.

Task 4Complete some subtraction questions using your numbers. Remember you need to use a larger number to begin your calculation.

Task 5Write some riddles for other people in your house to guess your number. We have written an example below. The answer is at the bottom of the blog post.

The number has 4-digits.

It is smaller than 10,000 but bigger than 9,000.

The hundreds digit is and odd number between 5 and 9.

The ones digit and the tens digit are the same. If you add them together, the total is 8.

The thousands digit is in the 3 times table. It is larger than 6 but lower than 10.

History

This term we are going to be learning about Kings and Queens of England.  We have found a song to get us started.  Follow this link.

Try and learn the song.  Once you have learnt it, see how many of the Kings and Queens you can remember and write them down without looking.  Choose one of your favourites and find out some information about them.  Can you share these facts in a comment on the blog?

Suggested websites

Remember to keep using your TT Rockstars accounts. Challenge yourself to set a new high score on the Studio.

We have been pleased to see the books you have been choosing to read on your Scholastic accounts. We have assigned you a book this week, but you can also read any you like from the Scholastic libraryThe instructions for logging on can be found using the link below:

ScholasticReading Handout for Parents

If you would like some more ideas and activities, then BBC Bitesize Daily has a range of resources that you might like to use. For the worksheets, remember you don’t need to print them out you can just write your answers and responses on a piece of paper. There are also shows that you can watch on BBC iPlayer that contain more ideas for you to complete.

Riddle answer = 9,744

20 thoughts on “Year 4 – Home Learning Week Commencing 27th April

• 28th April 2020 at 10:30 am

Hi Miss Tew 👋
    I found some similes in the first passage of the book.
    1. sweet smelling flowers 💐 that looked LIKE stars ✨ in the sky 🌌
    2. lush green grass AS soft AS a carpet
    i’m looking forward to reading the rest of this book 📖 and seeing the next one too
    from Daisy

• 28th April 2020 at 3:09 pm

Hello Daisy 🙂 Great work finding the similes. Let us know if you find anymore in the rest of the book. I hope you enjoy reading it. Miss Tew

• 29th April 2020 at 1:05 pm

Hello everyone,
    I chose Queen Victoria to share some facts with you because recently I watched a lovely movie about her called Victoria and Abdul.
    Do you know that her first name wasn’t Victoria? It was Alexandrina after her godfather, Tsar Alexander I.
    Can you imagine that she was barely five feet tall?
    She became Queen when she was 18 and also she was multilingual, she was fluent in both English and German.
    She also studied French, Italian and Latin.
    Hope that these facts will be useful for you.
    Nour Debez

• 29th April 2020 at 1:39 pm

States Of Matter.
    On earth all matter exists in one of three different states :solid, liquid or gas.
    A solid can hold its shape (for example, water in solid form is ice).
    A liquid like water forms a pool:it flows or runs but it can’t be stretched or squeezed. A gas can flow, expand and be squeezed ;if it is an unsealed container it escapes ( water in gas form is steam)
    Depending on its temperature, matter can change state:heating, cooling, evaporating and condensation are ways in which material changes state.
    From Nour Debez

• 30th April 2020 at 10:51 am

Hi Miss Moloney

Are you okay?

I have been doing my school work every day and my mum and dad have bought me the power maths books and English book. I have been doing these every day and I have been doing my TT Rockstars. I have also been reading Demon Dentist by David Walliams. I liked reading the Selfish Giant. My mum thought it was very sad.

My new setting description for the giant’s garden.

In the giant’s garden there are 50 beautiful flowers that are all the colours of the rainbow. The trees in the garden are bigger than the giant and blossom in the summer and the autumn. The flowers on the trees are pink and red. The green grass is so sort you can sleep on it. It is very peaceful in the garden with the birds tweeting and the branches of the trees swaying in the breeze.

The King that I am interested in is Edward V. He was 12 when he became king but he only ruled from April 1483 to June 1483 when his uncle, King Richard III had him and his bother put in the Tower of London. Some people think King Richard III had the brothers murdered but no one knows if it is true.

I think Edward would have been happy about becoming King but he would have been scared too.

I have also been enjoying the BBC Bitesize daily lessons and I have been baking bread, cookies and pizza. I did Joe Wicks workout and I have been going for walks and playing swing ball in the garden.

I can’t wait to come back to school and see you and all of my friends.

From Carta

• 30th April 2020 at 1:06 pm

Wow! Well done Carta, you’ve been so busy!

I’m really pleased to see that you have been keeping up with your Maths and English. Your Giant’s Garden sounds beautiful and somewhere that I would love to explore. I might even catch a snooze on that lovely grass.

I enjoyed reading your facts about the Kings and it was nice to see that you are thinking about how they were feeling at the time.

Me and my family are all fine thank you but we do miss you all terribly and can’t wait to get back to school!

Best wishes to all of your family and keep up the good work!

Miss Moloney

• 30th April 2020 at 12:48 pm

Wow! Well done Nour! You have been busy. I am really happy to see that you are working so hard. Thank you so much for your wonderful facts on Queen Victoria, they are very interesting and have made me want to find out more! Also great facts on States of Matter. Whilst you’re thinking about cooling, evaporating and condensing – can you find any examples of this happening inside your home? Maybe you could share what you find? Keep it up, I’m super proud of you! I hope you are all keeping well. Take care, Miss Moloney

• 30th April 2020 at 1:58 pm

Thank you Miss Moloney, I will try and find examples and also later on I will write my giant description. I loved the book a lot I have missed you a lot hope you are OK. Take care and stay safe. Nour

• 30th April 2020 at 2:11 pm

Ok great! I will look forward to reading your next post! We’re all fine. Best wishes to your family. Take care, Miss Moloney

• 1st May 2020 at 10:54 am

Good morning Miss, Moloney,
          This is my giant’s description
          The giant lived in Tinysville,he had a very special and secret garden.
          He had slick, smooth hair and his eyes were glistening like the golden sun. His beard was tangled in a big mess. His pointed shoes resembled his pointed nose and his legs outstretched his leggings that he had made years ago,While his bulging stomach stuck out from his tight shirt and his leather belt often flung off his waist.

• 1st May 2020 at 11:13 am

Awesome Nour! What a picture you have created in my mind! His leggings made me chuckle and his belly! There will be some more activities coming for you on Monday. I can’t wait to see what you produce next week. Have a good weekend! Miss Moloney

• 1st May 2020 at 11:27 am

This is what I learned about apostrophes for contraction.
    An 𝗮𝗽𝗼𝘀𝘁𝗿𝗼𝗽𝗵𝗲 is a punctuation mark.
    Apostrophes for 𝗰𝗼𝗻𝘁𝗿𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 are used to show the place of a missing letter or letters when two words are joined ( for example, 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁’𝘀 for 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗶𝘀 or 𝗰𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱𝗻’𝘁 for 𝗰𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱 𝗻𝗼𝘁).
    The second type of apostrophes is apostrophes for possession.
    Apostrophes for 𝗽𝗼𝘀𝘀𝗲𝘀𝘀𝗶𝗼𝗻 show who or what something belongs to.
    If something belongs to one person than you add’𝘀.
    l borrowed 𝗧𝗿𝗮𝗰𝗲𝘆’𝘀 𝘂𝗺𝗯𝗿𝗲𝗹𝗹𝗮 to go out in the rain. This shows that the umbrella belongs to Tracey.
    If it is an irregular plural that doesn’t end with 𝘀,then add ‘𝘀.
    The cloakroom was a mess because the 𝗰𝗵𝗶𝗹𝗱𝗿𝗲𝗻’𝘀 𝗰𝗼𝗮𝘁𝘀 were all over the floor.
    If something belongs to more than one person then you add an apostrophe after the s.
    It was the 𝗴𝗶𝗿𝗹𝘀’ 𝘁𝘂𝗿𝗻 to go on the trampoline.
    It shows that the turn belonged to the girls (plural- more than one girl)

• 1st May 2020 at 11:29 am

Thank you Miss Moloney, have a beautiful weekend. Looking forward to my new tasks on Monday.

• 1st May 2020 at 1:47 pm

hi miss tew

I hope you are having a great time with dexter [your dog]
    I hope your well, I’m very well and doing lots of school work with my mum.
    Today I have been doing maths, history and music on bbc bitesize.
    take care.

• 1st May 2020 at 3:29 pm

Hello Matthew it is lovely to hear from you 🙂 Dexter is loving spending more time with me, I’m not sure how he’ll be when we come back. I am very pleased to hear you have been busy doing your school work. I am missing seeing everyone every day. I hope you and your family are well. What is your favourite thing that you have learnt at home? I would love to hear more about the History you have been doing.
      Miss Tew

• 1st May 2020 at 8:22 pm

Hello Miss Tew,
        I have loved learning maths my mum found a maths mystery online and printed it for me it had lots of puzzles to solve a riddle at the end. In history I have been learning all the kings and queens names and we did some RE the story of Diwali my mum is learning so much he he
        Speak soon and say hello to Dexter for me.

• 2nd May 2020 at 9:31 pm

I love the sound of a maths mystery; I hope you enjoyed solving all the puzzles. Keep working hard learning the names of all the kings and queens of England. Dexter sends a high five to you for all the great work!

• 5th May 2020 at 3:32 pm

Hi Miss Molney,

I found some similes In the firs passage.
    1.sweet- smelling flowers that look like stars
    2. lush green grass as soft as a carpet
    FROM shaymaa

• 6th May 2020 at 10:27 am

hi miss moloney
    i found someone on the king and queen song to share with you

Queen Victoria was born on 24 May 1819 in Kensington Palace in London, England. Her full name was Alexandrina Victoria.

2) Queen Victoria was born to an English father, Edward, Duke of Kent, and a German mother, Princess Maria Louisa Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfald.

3) Victoria became Queen of England in June 1837, when she was just 18 years old. Her coronation took place at Westminster Abbey a year later in June 1838, where everyone cheered “Long live the Queen!”

4) Did you know that Queen Victoria was a linguist? She spoke fluent English and German, and studied other languages, too, including French, Italian and Latin. Later in life, she also learnt the Indian language of Hindustani. Impressive, eh?!

5) Queen Victoria’s husband was Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha – her first cousin, who she married in February 1840. The royal couple first met four years earlier, a few days before Victoria’s 17th birthday party.

6) Victoria and Albert had a whopping nine children together – their names were Victoria, Edward, Alice, Alfred, Helena, Louise, Arthur, Leopold and Beatrice.

7) Albert died in December 1861, when the Queen was 42 years old. The Queen never recovered from his death, and dressed in black as a sign of mourning for the rest of her life.

8) Ruling for over 60 years, Victoria would become the longest reigning British Monarch, and Queen of the biggest empire in history. During her time as Queen, the British Empire included Australia, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa and India.

9) There are lots of famous places and sites around the world named after this famous British Queen, such as the state of Queensland in Australia, Victoria Falls in Zambia and Zimbabwe, the city of Victoria in Canada, and Victoria Square in Athens, Greece.

10) After a long and eventful life, Queen Victoria died in January 1901, aged 81. She was buried beside her husband Albert at Frogmore Mausoleum near Windsor.

• 6th May 2020 at 4:50 pm

This is amazing! I am so proud of you Shaymaa! I’m missing you all so much so it is so lovely to see that you are continuing to work hard at home. Keep up the good work and I can’t wait for your next comment! Best wishes to your family. Hope you are all keeping well.